Monday, May 17, 2010

Vacation

Well we survived our first vacation with a toddler. I have to admit, I was very anxious to go away with a toddler that has a peanut allergy, but it was easier than I thought it would have been. I think it's because of the kind of vacation we took. We were invited to go away with very good friends of ours. They made it possible for us to stay in our own rental house. They have twin toddlers and a new born. Having all the kids together was so much fun! We were also able to meet up with other friends with a little guy a few months young than Cormac. Four crazy boys together was just too funny to watch. Cormac really enjoyed himself.

Since we had a full kitchen my anxiety was at a good low. We were able to pack lunch's for when we went out, and made dinner there each night. It really took the stress out of it. We did eat out one day for lunch. When I asked the waitress about nuts she knew her stuff. I was so grateful. Our friends were great about asking what he could eat too.

When we went to the amusement park I brought his lunch and snacks. It made the day so much more enjoyable. I didn't have to worry about what to feed him, or if the teenagers behind the counter actually knew anything. It's really hard giving your trust to strangers. I think that is one of the hardest parts of this whole thing. You have to trust that a server actually knows or asks the chef about possible nuts. Then you have to trust them to tell the chef when putting the order in or for the chef to remember when he is preparing the food. I've worked in restaurants in the past and know first hand how easy it is for a waiter, waitress or chef to forget stuff. That is the terrifying part for me.

So we survived, and had an amazing time. This was a great first that I will always remember.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say!