Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Valentine's Day Candy So Far

When I wait until the last minute to get safe treats for my little man I always regret it. So I started shopping. We don't make a big deal about Valentine's Day, but it's nice to get a sweet treat. I use to love when my parents would get a little something for me. A giant Hershey's Kiss was a favorite.

This year is a challenge. It's our first allergy aware Valentine's Day. Please keep in mind the treats mentioned are peanut and tree nut free to my knowledge. Remember to check for yourselves.

Since the giant Hershey's kiss is out of the question, I picked up some regular kisses since those are the safe ones. I also picked up some Sweet Tarts Hearts, not to be confused with sweet hearts (the hearts are not safe). Sweet hearts are the normal conversation heart candies people usually give out, but you guessed it, it's on the no no list.

As mentioned on our Facebook page I also bought Heart Shaped Peep's. I did write them and found out (the next day I might add), just as people said on the FB page they are safe. He's a snippet from their email:

Because product formulations can change at any time, we encourage consumers to refer to our package labels for the most up-to-date ingredient and allergen information. We are required by law to declare major food allergens as defined by the FDA on our label. Moreover, it is our policy to voluntarily add advisory statements to our packages to alert consumers to potential cross contamination risks. Therefore, if there is a risk of any cross contamination with peanuts or tree nuts it would be stated on our packaging.

I like that they have a policy to voluntarily add advisory statements about possible cross contamination. This is responsible labeling and I think it's great. Easter is looking a little bit sweeter this year too! I love me some Peep's!

Since I know school will most likely pose a problem I'm going in with back up in my pocket this party. Some candies, and cookies ready to eat. Since we are snowed in once again I was going to try and make some heart shaped sugar cookies with the hard frosting and share my success or failure with you. But alas, my dear husband used the last of the vanilla so I have to settle for some oatmeal chocolate chip. Still yummy and much easier. I hope to get some time soon to try my hand at the the sugar cookies this week or next.

Remember: READ IT BEFORE YOU EAT IT!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say!